To know the concept how Careprost (Bimatoprost) works, it is important to have an understanding of the eyelash growth hair cycle. Like all hair, eyelashes grow in a cycle, it involves three phases and these are explained below.
Hair Cycle and its Phases:
The growth of eyelashes is cyclical and is mainly divided into three stages, namely anagen, catagen, and telogen.
- Anagen- A growth phase of the hair follicle, which is approximately 1 to 2 months long. The duration of the anagen phase determines the length of hair.
- Catagen-It can also be called as a transition At this stage, the eyelash stops growing and the hair follicle shrinks. In this phase, if the lash is plucked out or falls out, it won’t begin growing back until the transition phase has completed. The follicle needs to complete this phase before it can move on to the next stage of the hair cycle. The duration of the phase is 15 days.
- Telogen- From catagen, eyelash hair follicles enter the telogen phase, which is known as a resting phase. It lasts from 4 to 9 months. The old hair expelled out of the follicle by new hair, which occurs in the transition from resting phase to the growth phase. After this stage, growth phase commences once again.
Mechanism of Action of Bimatoprost
The active component contained in the formulation is Bimatoprost Ophthalmic Solution. The ability of Bimatoprost to enhance the growth of eyelashes emerged as a serendipitous adverse effect this product started using to treat a medical condition called glaucoma.
Treatment with Bimatoprost preparation results in multiple changes to the hair cycle.
- Regular administration for two weeks resulted in a greater proportion of follicles in the anagen (growth) phase and decrease in the percentage of hair follicles in telogen (resting) phase.
- Bimatoprost shortens the telogen (resting) phase of the hair cycle; it stimulates the resting follicles in telogen phase to growing follicles in the anagen phase. In this way, the treatment with Bimatoprost is associated with the prolonged duration of the growth phase.
This increase in the growth of hair cycle probably manifest as noticeable changes in the length of eyelash associated with treatment.
In other words, we can say that Bimatoprost increases the percentage of eyelashes in anagen and the duration of the anagen phase to result in bigger and better-looking eyelashes.
- The formulation has a great influence on the thickness and fullness of eyelashes. Studies have shown that the eyelashes of an individual using ophthalmic solution become approximately 20% thicker or fuller than untreated ones.
Furthermore, the ability of the active component of Careprost to increase darkness, thickness, and fullness probably results from melanogenesis, a process through which melanin producing cells produce melanin (a pigment found in the hair and skin). Bimatoprost has been shown to stimulate melanogenesis as well as enlarges the diameter of the hair shaft, resulting in darker eyelashes.
All these facts suggest that Bimatoprost ophthalmic formulation can increase the length, fullness, darkness, and thickness of eyelashes. It has a significant impact on all characteristics that may be associated with the overall appearance of eyelashes. In a short period of four weeks, Bimatoprost gives you the significantly greater number of eyelashes.